TRAVEL: How I Survived Being Sick (7/28/16) 

We finally made it to our second destination, Badian, Cebu. After three straight days of having a fever, my temperature finally went back down to normal. A huge, huge thanks to Josh for taking such good care of me the past few days. From medicine and food runs, to keeping me warm when I had a bad case of chills, I’m so grateful to be traveling with such a loving companion! 

After arriving in Cebu City, we spent the night there, thinking we were going to leave first thing the next morning. However, I woke up with a worsened fever and was too sick travel. Alvin and Josh went on a medicine, fruit, and pandesal run right away. By 2PM, we finally left our Airbnb, but before we went to the bus station, I needed to get cheese for my pandesal. Pasteurized cheese is a must with my pandesal! (It’s good, I promise.) We took a three hour bus south to Badian with what seemed like the most crazy driver we’ve had so far who honked almost every ten seconds. By the time we got to Matutinao Resort, the sky was pitched black and we weren’t exactly sure where to go. But as usual, the locals were so friendly and helpful. We were settled in no time. 

The next morning, we finally got to appreciate our new little home to the fullest. Our room (that looks like a hut on the outside), hovers right on top of the water, with the most beautiful view of the stillest light blue sea (which I just learned is the Philippine Sea). Alvin got to enjoy some yoga on our patio, while I rested up since I was still feeling sick this morning. After, we took a trip about 20 minutes north to Moalboal to drop off our laundry and have brunch. The boys rented motorbikes that we plan on using for our trip to Oslob tomorrow and we found a spot to eat brunch overlooking the sea. During brunch, I saw at least three fish fly out of the water like a dolphin. Excited that I kept seeing them, the boys declared that “flying fish” was officially my “spirit animal”. 

We ended our day with a trip to Kawasan Falls, which is conveniently located right in front of our resort! We walked about 20-25 minutes until we finally reached the falls that Badian is known for. Although I haven’t seen many waterfalls, I can say that this one is pretty astounding.

Going here taught me how to appreciate from afar. Heeding my parents’ advice to stay away from water activities until I felt 100% better, the boys and I decided not to go in the water. If there’s anything I’ve learned from these past three days, it’s the importance of listening to your own body. Being a yogini, I figured I would have known this by now, but sometimes even I forget. During our stay in El Nido, I worked my body too hard and didn’t give it enough rest, even when my body was screaming for it. After our hike to Taraw Cliff, I knew I needed a break but still insisted on going out. Not listening to my body’s needs caused me to be sick for the next 4 days. 

If there’s any one singular advice that I would give to any traveler, it’s to know and listen to your own body’s needs. In yoga classes, instructors often say that “you are your own best yoga teacher”. Same goes here, only you can best diagnose your body during every instance of every day. 


If it weren’t for my ever-so-loving (and cautious) mother, I wouldn’t have had all the supplies I needed to get well so quickly. Here’s what has saved me and the boys on our trip so far:

Vitamin C

Throat lozenges
Tylenol (or generic brand)

Advil (or generic brand) 

Pedialyte Rehydration Packets

DayQuil and NyQuil 

Allergy medicine (Benadryl, Loratadin, etc.)

Anti-diarrhea pills


Calamine lotion (for mosquito bites)

Aloe Vera (for bites and sunburns) 

And of course, you should pack anything and everything you may personally need such as an an inhaler, additional ointments, etc. You may be concerned about it taking up room in your bag, but trust me when I say it is very, very worth it. Also, drink lots of warm liquids. I had sinigang (Filipino soup) three meals in a row, which was the perfect hot meal for me to have when I was sick. 

Ps. Thank you to my family for all your prayers and love! And to my mom for endless texts and calls about how I needed to eat kalamansi and papaya to flush out my toxins. Love you!

*Update: I finally went to the doctor and found out I have tonsillitis! If you ever need to see a doctor in the Philippines, ask a local where the nearest medical center/hospital is. I paid 50 pesos (a little over $1) to see a doctor and get a prescription. In most major cities there should be a pharmacy you can pick up from. 


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s